Sunday, January 31, 2010

What's in a Name?

Madie Lou McQuitty is due April 9, 2010. Mike and I could not be more excited and dream about our life with her every day. When we learned that God would be blessing us with a precious little girl, it didn't take long to decide on her name. Madie (pronounced May -Dee) was my great-grandmother's, lovinginly referred to as Momma Chambers, name. The thing I remember most about her was how strong and sassy she was. She raised a house full of boys and kept them all in line. I remember visiting her little home in Cross Cut, Texas which was always smelled of good home cooking. I might mention she also raised one of the great loves of my life, my Granddaddy. So naming my little girl after her just seemed right. Lou comes from a long line of strong women in our family. My grandmother's middle name was Lou as is Mike's grandmothers. And of course, the greatest woman I know, it is my sweet mom's middle name as well. I hope she gets Nana's ability to get people to follow her, Granny's sweet disposition and Mom's heart of gold. So you see, Madie Lou is more than a name, it is a mixture of all the women we love most rallying around the little girl that will steel our hearts.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful name you've chosen for your little girl who'll be arriving very soon! My greatest memory of Mama Chambers (our great grandmother Madie) was how she so effortlessly and lovingly hosted so many for family dinners. The smell of her fried chicken, the sweetened iced tea, washing the dishes afterwards, going to the tank to catch crawdads, her love of peanut brittle -- I'm sure I'll remember a lot more today as I recall the time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet name! We are so excited for you guys! Girls are so much fun! :) Happy Blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her name and knowing the story behind it, no doubt she will live up to her name. I wish you nothing but the best throughout the remainder of your pregnancy for you, Mike and your Angel Ms. Madie Lou! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. Sounds like Travis is gonna have another precious new friend! We are so excited for ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog looks great and of course it's pink! We can't wait to read all about sweet Miss Madie! She is one lucky girl to have such a great mommy!

    ReplyDelete