Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cross Cut, TX

Over Thanksgiving, Madie and I took a trip out to Cross Cut with Grandaddy.  I was SO excited to go out there.  My brothers will laugh here because my Cross Cut experience is quiet different from theirs - I have never had to pull a motor, circulate chemical or replace a belt.  I have, however, opened a gate or two, checked to see if wells were going and read a gas gage.  I LOVE it out there, I swear that I just breathe better when I am out in the wide open where the Chambers name was born. This is why it was so important to me to take my sweet Madie there for the very first (but certainly not last) time.  Grandaddy was more than willing to show her every acre and tell all the stories that made us who we are.  What a great time for my little girl, I know she will make many a memory out in the sticks, and I got to add another to my repertoire.  And sorry boys, I don't think Madie's will involve any physical labor either.  Just the way it goes..................


Ready to strike out with Grandaddy - looking good in her cowgirl boots

I don't think anything this girly had EVER been in this truck! 

Madie's first time to see a pump jack.  Next time I am sure she will be on it- I was when I was just a little bigger!

 Here she is meeting the horses.  We started with the sweetest - Rooster

 Both Madie and Rooster seem to be questioning Daddy at this point!  Ha!

 Yet - here she is on Jake!  She is a natural already. 

This is Madie watching Grandaddy feed the horses- we thought we should watch this from the truck. 

 Grandaddy has an apparent new tradition - putting oil on the babies noses!  Here is Madie with hers.

 Madie opening her first gate.  Won't be long until she rides it all the way in - one of my favorite memories!

Grandaddy told her so many stories about her great, great, grandfather being born in the house behind them. Here they are looking at the water well and talking about how they would use this water for the whole family.  He told her that her great, great, great, grandfather was a doctor and would deliver babies for payment in chickens!  He showed her where they kept those chickens and how that provided for their family.

 Listening to more of Granddaddy's stories - I love this picture!

 Mom - did you hear what he just said? 

 This is the only time Madie fussed the entire trip - when her feet got dipped in the tank!  Ha!  She did not like the cold!

 Finishing up our day in Granddaddy's favorite spot.  Rocking in the coolest spot on the Rushing. 

 Here is the official first time Madie Lou McQuitty put her feet down on Cross Cut soil.  Many a Chambers has walked this path. Many a memory has been made.  Children, ideas and dreams have been born in this very spot.  I am proud to be a part of this land and to now finally be able to share it with my little girl.  Cross Cut, TX - in many ways - made us all who we are today. 

1 comment:

  1. A great presentation for Madie Lou and the old Rushing. I saw a few great, great grand mesquite trees descended from the old ones of long ago...the picture of the old cistern also brings back many memories. Ronnie's still looking great,too! Keep the old tradition going. Cassie is a real memory artist! Uncle Norris and Aunt Ella

    ReplyDelete